Re: [Healeys] A bit of tuning advice - update

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] A bit of tuning advice - update
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 05:32:27 -0700
  re: "One piece of advice was to retard the ignition and see what happens. I
did this ... and it has fixed it! But now
the timing mark on the flywheel is about half an inch out, but it runs
normally. I assume this doesn't matter?"

The (sole) timing mark on the crank balancer outer ring (should) align with the
pointer on the timing cover at TDC
(piston 'top dead center' on cylinder #1).  If you're using a 'regular' timing
light, a half-inch off will be about 5-10
degrees advanced or retarded, depending on which side of the pointer the line
is on, engine speed and whether or not you
disconnected the vacuum advance line (and sealed it off at the carburettor).
The only way to get a correct
reading--that I know of--is to use an engine analyzer or advance meter.

Usually, timing too advanced causes detonation ('pinging') under load.  Too
retarded causes poor acceleration and
overheating.

Also, there's a (slim) chance the pulley/balancer has slipped on the rubber
buffer between the inner and outer rings, so
the timing mark may be incorrect.

bs

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net