Re: [Healeys] Steering wheel hub/boss re-finishing

To: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>, Healey Mail
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering wheel hub/boss re-finishing
From: Alan Bromfield <bluehealey@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:19:07 +0100
Hi Jean.
The wheel is an adjustable from a 1957 BN4. You are correct that the
black plasic coating extended over the three raised 'ears' that
capture the root of the stainless wire banjo spokes. The coating was
quite thick at around 1/16" and it peeled off in big chunks. The alloy
boss is now completely stripped and cleaned and has a textured surface
probably from the casting process.  The simple answer would be an etch
primer followed by paint but it would chip and scratch easily, and
wouldn't cover/fill the surface imperfections.

Thanks...........

On 28 September 2010 19:03, Jean Caron
<vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Alan:
> Are you talking about a late(66 or 67) adjustable steering wheel? If so,
now
> that you have removed this material, not sure how thick it would be but it
> also should cover the three spokes that hold the four wires at each of
these
> spokes, did you remove that as well?

>> Team.
>> The boss of a standard AH wheel appears to be coated in a thick
>> plastic material. Mine had developed cracks which in turn had trapped
>> moisture leading to aluminium corrosion. I have unpeeled all the
>> plastic, most of which had lost adhesion, and cleaned the boss ready
>> for re-painting/coating.
>>
>> Any recommendations out there regarding what I should use?

                (__tinyurl.com/healeyforum _)
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html