Re: [Healeys] Oil leaking from tacho drive on my BN2

To: healeys@autox.team.net, T+ B Willig <willig@wtnet.de>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil leaking from tacho drive on my BN2
From: Jim LeBlanc <jim_leblanc@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:45:39 -0700 (PDT)
Thomas,

I just pulled the tach drive out of my spare engine. Using Moss part numbers
and approximate measurements:

520-440 oil seal (5/16 i.d 11/16 o.d. and 1/4 tall)
324-585 n/a must be a standard fiber washer 3/4 i.d. and 1" o.d.

Start by removing the tach drive with a US 1 inch socket (after removing the
cable). The oil seal comes out with a paint can opener (like a bent
screwdriver) and is behind a 11/16 steel ring 835-610. While apart, clean and
lube the cable.

Once the oil seal permits oil to get past it, there is nothing that will keep
oil from working its way up the cable. I hear oil sometimes works its way up
into the passenger compartment. Every oil change I throw in a can of ATF to
help keep rubber seals soft.

>From what I am seeing you likely need to remove intake and exhaust manifolds.
You might do this job from under the car.

My car is on jack stands for an annual chassis cleaning and inspection. If I
should discover that you can do this job from under the car, I will write
back. Weather permitting I will have the car at the Camarillo Ranch car show
tomorrow, Sun 10/3.

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1956 100-M