Re: [Healeys] illuminated toggle/push pull switches My Two Cents

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] illuminated toggle/push pull switches My Two Cents
From: Jack Feldman <qualitas.jack@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 07:33:08 -0500
It has been an interesting thread, but a scary one. THE SWITCH MUST GO IN
THE POSITIVE LEAD. Any electrician or Radio Amateur with kit building
experience will tell you so.

First, the fact that they don't sell negative working switches should be a
clue. Second, if you look at the electrical code for your house, at least in
the US, you will find it is illegal to put the switch in the neutral, or
grounded lead. The switch must always be in the hot lead. I can't speak for
other countries, I know they do things differently in England, but I'm not
sure that extends to switching the neutral.

If you are adding a switch, it is easy to put an inline fuse in the circuit.
The holders are inexpensive and easy to crimp of solder. Soldering being
preferred.

One person in my club added a fuse block for bladed fuses to his Buy-Eye. I
had a mechanic to the same for me. I bought a block with LED indicators to
show when the fuse is blown. The LED is in parallel to the fuse so it only
works on non interrupted circuits.

If I sound too harsh, please accept my apology, but I would hate to have
anyone's beloved car burn up because of improper wiring.

Jack
KA9HEL
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html