Re: [Healeys] Steering Wheel removal

To: Derek Job <derek.c.job@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Wheel removal
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 05:58:24 -0500
Derek,

The three small screws in the body of the steering wheel hold the
trafficator/control head in place.  Loosen them and you should be able
to pull the control head out enough to be able to work on it.  There are
three screws that hold the short stator tube to the bakelite parts.  The
heads of the screws are covered by the thin steel disc in the short
stator tube assembly.  Rotate the disc around (there's an tab that
you'll have to lift out of a hole) until the screw heads are exposed.
Remove the screws and separate the stator tube from the bakelite.  This
will expose the wiring connections.  Disconnect the horn lead.  As your
other leads are already separated, the control head should now be free
and just feed the wiring eyelets through the short stator tube as you
pull it out.

Looking at the end of the steering column you should see the splines
that the steering wheel slides on and a steel ring.  The ring prevents
the wheel from falling off the column.  Remove the ring and loosen up
the locking ring and you should be able to remove the steering wheel.

Regards to wiring: there are four leads. Two have power - one for the
horns and one for the turn signals.  So I wouldn't just clip them.  I'd
disconnect the steering column harness from the main harness (in front
of the radiator).

Bob Haskell
3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php