Re: [Healeys] Hundred Intake Manifold Packing

To: Rich Chrysler <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Hundred Intake Manifold Packing
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:21:42 +0000
Rich

I think you will find that the originals where made but forcing into
shape a length of lead impregnated string or cord. In the UK anything
made of lead was outlawed many years ago and this may also apply in
Canada. There was a time when you could buy this string and many years
ago I used it to repack an external water pump on a Fordson Tractor.
This was the official spare at the time. Something is still available
but I doubt if it is made of lead see

http://www.cotswoldvintagetractors.com/fordson/product.php?productid=1615
6&cat=0&page=1

It may be that there is a similar supplier in North America.

Although not authentic a large 'O' ring will do the trick but this needs
to be of high grade rubber because although an inlet there is still some
heat around. A cheap 'O' ring for a plumbing supplier might not last.

Best regards

--
John Harper
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html