Re: [Healeys] 3000 rear main seal adaptor

To: "'Ron Ray'" <ronald-ray@sbcglobal.net>, "'Peter Schauss'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 3000 rear main seal adaptor
From: "PG" <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:05:19 -0800
Hi Ron,

I use a Denis Welch Seal which works fine.

It can be installed in-situ but requires the rear engine plate to be
machined.  I opted to use an ali plate manufactured by DW instead.  If you
opted to machine the rear engine plate, it would not be difficult and I
believe that a trace was include.   The machining in necessary as the stock
plate does not have enough clearance for the seal.

To install, you need to remove the flywheel and rear engine plate.  Using
the four bolt holes on the crankshaft flange as a guide, you drill four
holes into the engine block and tap them to receive the small allen key
bolts that hold the seal in place (I believe the tap was included).

The seal itself is fairly easy to install.

This link will show a picture of it installed.

www.picasaweb.google.com/justfuelnaround/67EngineTranyProject#54242298269313
43090

Regards,
Paul