Re: [Healeys] SU Fuel Pump Repair

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] SU Fuel Pump Repair
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:38:11 -0800
I don't see repair kits in the Moss catalog--the only things that generally
need to be replaced are the diaphragm or the
points.

The non-electronic pumps have either: a) a capacitor, b) a diode or c) neither.
 If you have a capacitor, it might be
fried (depending on the type).  I think if you had a diode the pump would not
have worked, since the diode would have
shunted the current if it was forward-biased or, possibly, you fried the diode
(but I may be wrong here).

You shouldn't need a new diaphragm or points--they don't care which way the
electrons move.   You probably either have a
capacitor or nothing to protect the points (or a possibly fried diode).  In
either case, the diode does a better job and
you should install one if you don't have one in there (Moss has them).

You may need to 'polarize' the solenoid--like when you change to neg.
ground--but I'm not sure.

bs

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net