Re: [Healeys] Ok this is a Spitfire Video

To: Healey <Healeys@autox.team.net>, Alan Seigrist
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ok this is a Spitfire Video
From: Bert Van Brande <bertvanbrande@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:17:36 -0800 (PST)
Wow! His enthusiasm for this British warbird is inspiring.  I like to think the
eliptical shape of the wing inspired some of the Healey lines (rear fender)

There's a freshly restored Spitfire at the airport down the hill from me
(Camarillo Commemorative Airforce)  I've seen the plane on air shows there
together with P51D's and a privately owned Zero.  I hear them fly over a lot
when I am in my garage on a saturday morning.  They're probably on practice
runs or just having fun.  I always run outside to enjoy the sight and sound.
It also helps to have 12y old who loves planes, so I go to most shows around
here.

http://www.cafsocal.com/AnnouncementRetrieve.aspx?ID=51998

I have an open invitation to go and check out the museum, the restorations are
mostly done by volunteers.  I would not be surprised if they have the equipment
to make the 2BA screws.   A small lathe with thread cutting capabilities would
do.  BA is mostly a metric standard, so most lathes will have the appropriate
leadscrew or gearing.  Needs a custom cutting tool for the thread angle which
is different (47.5 degrees instead of 60), the right aluminum alloy and then a
strict QC process.  Probably a lot of engineering goes into this.  I'll ask
when I visit them.

But I would also not be surprised if there's still places you can buy these
screws or have them custom-made.  Or if they're lucky they might have a
Spitfire-list where one can ask. ;-)

cheers,

Bert