Re: [Healeys] re my previous Speedo query and angle drive question

To: simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] re my previous Speedo query and angle drive question
From: bighealey3k@aim.com
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:38:49 -0500 (EST)
Simon,  With the drive cable broken above the angle drive, it is highly
unlikely the angle drive is the problem.  It has to be with the speedometer.
Years ago my girl friend's MG Midget's speedo quite and I found the drive
cable broken and thought it had just worn out, so I replaced it.  It worked
fine for a few days and then broke again.  I used a small common screw driver
and inserted it into the drive at the back of the speedo to see if there was
any drag and found it to turn quite easily in one direction but would lock up
in the other direction in about half of a revolution.  Turned out the other
direction was the direction the transmision would turn the cable when the car
was in reverse.  I opened up the speedo and found a lever had come loose
inside and would lock up the mechanism.  It was a very long time ago, but I
think it had something to do with the odometer and would lock up in reverse
but would work fine in forward.   As I remember, it was a snap ring or clip of
some sort that had fallen off and allowed the lever to get caught on the
inside of the speedo housing.  I found the clip (snap ring) inside and put it
back on and had no further problems after that.  That is why it worked for a
few days until the first time she backed up and I snapped the cable again.
Try turning your speedo by hand and see if that is the problem.

Larry
'67 BJ8