Re: [Healeys] Rear Knocking noise

To: "AH Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear Knocking noise
From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:15:21 -0800
Paul:  Since the 'knock' comes when "...starting to take off...", my
experience was worn splines on the rear hub/wheel. To quote Norman Nock's
Tech Talk, "The work "clunk" is a very good description of the sound made by
a worn wire wheel hub or wheel splines..."

Engage the parking brake, jack up the rear wheels, move the wheels back and
forth and see how much play there is.  There is a recommended maximum
movement but I can not find the info at this time.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031