Re: [Healeys] rear oil seal conversion

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] rear oil seal conversion
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 00:31:42 +1100
Geez!
Theory. Theory. Theory.
Theory is fine. But there is over 50 years of practical experience
here on this list!!!
Ok. Here is mine....
Yes  I have a lightened steel flywheel, and a rear engine seal.
I also have triple 45 mm webbers, & a 300 degree cam.
And every reciprocating component has been lightened within an inch of
it's road reliability.
E.g. Lightweight forged Cosworth pistons, steel flywheel,
I even lightened my Denis Welch bucket followers (by about 13 or so
grams each) and my valve spring retainers were also lightened
considerably.
Every component was selected and matched for weight. And strength.
And reliability?
It's now 2011.
My engine was built in 1998. Its done over 32 speed/ track/racing
events. And a lot of road miles.
I'm considering a rebuild this year. I've never owned a competition
car previously where I haven't removed the head in less than 10 years.
No, I've never removed the black & white healeys head. No need.
But given the years, I'd like to do it sometime soon. And give it a
complete freshen up.
Oh.
And the man who built my engine, Peter Molloy, is retired. And being
the only engineer in the Australian Motorsports Hall of Fame, and a
family friend since I was a kid,
I'd really like him to implement the knowledge we've learnt over the
past 11 years.
So he gets to see it.
Thanks Uncle Pete. Thanks again.
Chris