Re: [Healeys] Trabant Car

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Trabant Car
From: Jack Feldman <qualitas.jack@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:09:11 -0600
The best car I owned other than the Healey was a Checker Marathon station
wagon which replaced the XK140 for the usual reason. . It was made away from
Detroit in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I was having trouble with body alignment
and, since my mother in  law lived a short distance away, I took the car
back to the factory where a rubber mallet was liberally applied to the
window frames and body parts.

Jack

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> re:  "if the panels fit correctly they wouldn't have to kick the car to
> align them."
>
> My father used to work for Ford and was based at the assembly plant in
> Milpitas, CA.  He told me in the plant they got the biggest, strongest guy
> on the line and gave him a 2x4 to, ahem, 'align' the doors after they were
> hung.
>

> bs
>

> --------------------------------
> Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA
>

> if the panels fit correctly they wouldn't have to kick the car to align
> them.
>
> This is why the aftermarket panels don't fit our LBCs. The originals didn't
> fit either. This wasn't a problem at Abingdon. whe the cars were worked on
> by teams. I'm sure there was a hammer by each body station.
>
> BTW, the book I read about the decline of the British car industry said
> Longbridge turned our more cars per day, but the quality at Abingdon was
> superior. This was echoed by Geof Healey when he said he was concerned
> about
> the transfer of maufacturing from Longbridge to Abingdon. He then says that
> his fears were groundless and Abingdon was a better plant.
>
> Jack

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html