[Healeys] Rear axle Shims

Subject: [Healeys] Rear axle Shims
From: mayorrichard at hotmail.com (richard mayor)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 02:00:26 +0000
John,
By "axle bearing", I assume you are referring the bearings in the rear hubs
instead of the bearings in the differential. In any case, there is no such
thing as an axle bearing. The rear axle "shaft" never touches any bearing.
As for the rear hub bearing, there is a spacer.  It's function is to fill the
distance between the outer race of the hub bearing and the axle shaft "flange"
so that the outer race of the bearing cannot turn. There are no shims anywhere
in this system and that is why they do not appear in any parts catalog. That
spacer should stand proud
of the hub (with the gasket in place) a few thousands of an inch, so that,
when the axle flange is tightened to the hub, there is a clamping force
applied to the flange, bearing and spacer.
If you explain to us why you think you need shims we can probably give you
more information to fix your problem.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon