[Healeys] Fuel Gauge Problem

Subject: [Healeys] Fuel Gauge Problem
From: hubrick at gmail.com (Rick Huber)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:59:52 -0600
Hi Listers,
Been joyfully driving my 64 BJ8 for a little over a month now through the
holidays and the cold weather. Finally got down to some definitive
troubleshooting on my fuel gauge problem, without any resolution yet.
 Here's a concise explanation.
Smith's Gauge - not original, but supposed to be a BJ8 gauge. No identifying
numbers anywhere on the exterior. Restored/rebuilt by Nisonger.
Sending unit - brand new from Moss, part number 021-571.  Restorer modified
float mechanism was so electrical connection faces forward and float
assembly points rearward and float travels full height of tank. Can anybody
confirm that arrangement?

Problem - tank reads 5/8 full when empty and needle is out of sight past
full when full.

Troubleshooting.  With tank full, voltage at Battery side of gauge is 12 v,
Tank side is 1.6 v.  Resistance across gauge is 62 ohms when completely
disconnected.
                          With tank empty (out of gas), voltage at sending
unit is 7 v.
                          With sending unit out of tank, resistance at full
down position is 85 ohms, voltage when grounded is 7 v, gauge reads 5/8
full.