[Healeys] BJ8 Positive to negative grd wiring modifications

Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 Positive to negative grd wiring modifications
From: bjsbj8 at gmail.com (Bob Johnson)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 14:45:54 -0500
Sometimes I think I'm fairly intelligent, sometimes I think I compete
with my neighbor's fence post just outside my window. I do know that
sometimes I overthink and confuse myself unnecessarily. But OK, to the
point.

I have installed the GM alternator w/o too much trouble. Now for all
of the wiring modificarions I want to ask about, because different
emails in the archives seem to say different things. Soooo...
regarding the regulator, or control box. We all agree thet the reg is
now just a buss. Apparently all of the Mark III Healeys use the RB 340
unit. This is different from the one in the Lenschow instructions
which show RB106/2, I guess. So here are my questions (and
understandings) regarding mods to the 340.

If you leave the "guts" in place, is it necessary to sleeve or
otherwise negate the cut-out relay?

 I understand that the brn grn wire is no longer cogent to the
operation of anything. After all the end that was at the generator is
no longer connected to anything. (Well, that is not a question.)

The brn yel wire Connects to the No. 1 terminal on the alternator and
does not get changed at the regulator end.

A heavy wire gets cinnected from the Bat terminal on the alt to
whaere? Sometimes I read the instructions to say that it goes to the
battery terminal on the soleniod, sometimes I read the instructions to
say that it goes to the D terminal on the box. Another place I think
that I read that it goes to the B terminal on the box. To my thinking,
going to either the D terminal or rhe solenoid is the same thing.

Is it necessary to shunt the B teminal to the D terminal on the reg?
Or is that an option that can be done? If the reg is now only a buss
and you connect B to D, then it makes no difference (I think). Doing
this makes the brn and brn yel wires all the same.

As I understand, it is best to reverse the wires to the coil so that
wht connects to CB (aka +). Correct?

At the Tach, the direction of approach of said wht wire needs to be
reversed. Correct?

The fuel pump needs to be changed out for proper polarity if the one
currently in place is an SU positive groud pump. Correct? (I know that
there are varying opinions on what it is best to change to. Assuming
that the answer to the question is yes, I have already made a decision
as to which one I will use.)

Of course the battery needs to changed as well to get the polarity correct.

Aside from the question of adding fuses, a question for a different
time, are there any other mods to make to the electrical system for a
BJ8?

Bob Johnson
BJ8

Once this is done, I will put together a BJ8 specfic document with pics.