Re: [Healeys] Vredestein Sprint Classic

To: <pajtamuvek@gmail.com>, "healeys @autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Vredestein Sprint Classic
From: Dave Murphy <roadwarriordave@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:28:18 -0500
I have put 185R-15 Vredestein Sprint Classic tyres on my '66 BJ8 with 4-1/2"
wide 60 spoke chrome wires. I like them very much. I've experienced no
vibration or tracking problems. Ride and road holing are improved over the old
165R-15s.

I definitely would have needed wider rims if I had bought of the 185/70 -15
Vreds, due to their shorter less compliant sidewalls, and their wider tread
would threaten to throw more stones at the sides of my car.

My 185R-15 Vreds with their taller more flexible sidewalls mount very well on
the narrower 4-1/2" rims. Mounting these  80 series tires (installer said they
are really 82 series) aspect ratio on the 4-1/2" rims results in a slightly
narrower installation than if they were mounted on a 5" rim and this perhaps
helps keeps my front tires from rubbing in the front wheelwell of my car (as
some listers have reported).

After 1000 miles of use, the only evidence of any rubbing of any of the 4
tires is at the bottom rear corner of the rocker panel in front of the rear
wheel. The larger diameter of the tire has apparently scuffed off a tiny area
of paint when the wheel has extended fully downward when dropping into a pot
hole. The contact was obviously a glancing one when the car is driven forward
over bumps. I'm careful not to backup over bumps quickly when the contact
might be more threatening.

I think the narrow and tall look of these 185R-15 tires really suits my car
(-fills up the wheel wells better). I like the slight increase in tread width
over the old 165s and the increased ride height. Their 4.9% larger diameter
over the 165s has slightly increased my fuel mileage and I find I'm needing to
use first gear more than before.
-David Murphy, Michigan

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html