[Healeys] Identifying 100Ms

Subject: [Healeys] Identifying 100Ms
From: Editorgary at aol.com (Editorgary at aol.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:11:18 EST
In a message dated 2/25/11 11:24:31 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Could the group tell me what the best way of making this determination?
> Serial number, registry?  I know of the external engine components which
> make
> up the bMb variance but is there some tell-tale part, piece or number
> which would automatically identify it as factory versus a BN-2 post
> delivery
> modification?  Ibm also aware that Donald Healeybs own factory provided
> post delivery conversions, are there any new methods or found records to
> help
> verify which are which?

There is no absolutely valid way of determining just from physical
inspection whether a Healey 100 is one of the original 640 cars that were
manufactured after Sept. 1955, when they were introduced to the world at the
Earls
Court show.
Here's the only absolutely sure way: Look at the car chassis number on the
vehicle ID plate on the firewall, and at the body number on the aluminum
plate at the center of the firewall. Remove one or more of the alloy cockpit
surrounds from the car (one of the door pieces is easiest). Verify that the
number stamped on the inside of the cockpit surround matches the body number
on the body number plate.
If that is true, then you know that the body you're looking at is actually
the body identified on the vehicle number plate.
Now send the vehicle number to British Motor Industry Heritage Trust and
get a build certificate. If the car is one of the 640, on the certificate they
will indicate -- "Body originally supplied with louvered bonnet, and
therefore is a Factory 100M" or words to that effect.
Alternatively, if the owner shows you a BMIHT certificate with the car's
car number on it that says that, then check the car's body number and the
alloy cockpit surround to confirm that the car you're looking at is in fact
the
car with that car number.
I could write about sixteen paragraphs that explain why this verification
is the absolute, and only, means to declare that a 100 is in fact a
Factory-built "100M".

Note also that once the car body is confirmed as a 100M body, the actual
value of the car will vary depending on how many original 100M parts it still
has. These parts include the boot lid and bonnet, which will also be stamped
with the body number, the carbs -- which have identifier numbers of their
own, the cold air box, the special shroud bracket made to clear the cold air
box, and the 100M cam shaft.
The body might or might not also have a bend in the front radiator cross
brace, which would have been made in order to install the cam without lifting
the engine, provided that Geoff Healey was not on the premises when this car
was converted (but that's another story in itself).

Cheers
Gary