[Healeys] 57 Healey

Subject: [Healeys] 57 Healey
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 05:53:21 -0800
FWIW, I have a small, reasonably well-sealed 2-car garage and I never smell gas
from my BJ8, even after a long, hot
run.   I don't believe any gas smell from any car--or other source--is
tolerable (but I also have a natgas water heater
with a pilot light in my garage).  I think you've addressed the symptom but not
the problem (possibly a deficient carb
heat shield or  bad float valves or maybe the gas cap gasket is shot).

The first poster said "there is no leak or excessive smell in the trunk."
There should be no smell in the boot at all;
the tank should be completely sealed and I wouldn't even expect an odor at the
gas cap if properly fitted with a good
gasket.  If there's any odor, there's a leak, even if you don't see liquid
petrol.   Metal gas tanks can develop pinhole
leaks--in fact, they will develop leaks eventually.  This should be fixed,
preferably with a new tank.  This is nothing
to mess with (don't forget you have several electrical sources of ignition in
the boot, including the battery).  You
might also have a leak from the flexible fuel line, or even from the metal
line, big enough to cause odor but not enough
to leave a puddle (it doesn't take much petrol to create odor).  Even at 'room'
temperature, the tank may be slightly
pressurized (the vent in the cap is to allow air in as fuel is consumed--not to
relieve pressure).

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net