[Healeys] Brake Caliper Piston Ques.

Subject: [Healeys] Brake Caliper Piston Ques.
From: mgcharlie at comcast.net (Charlie Baldwin)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:50:26 -0400
Peter is, of course, totally correct.  The MGA disc brakes were very
early in disc brake design and they thought that the pistons had to be
spring loaded like a drum brake to return them to the original
position.  This was not the case and actually it is a mildly unsafe
design because there is a lag in braking to make up that extra distance
that the piston must travel.  Some have found that they need to pump the
brakes quickly to make them as effective as they should be.  Using MGA
pistons, therefore is not only more expensive, but less safe.
I have MGA disc brakes on my TD with MGB pistons in them and the car is
very much safer than with the original drum brakes up front.
I think that I put the cutout toward the hub.
Charlie