[Healeys] BN1 100/4 standard build - Setting up engine timing

Subject: [Healeys] BN1 100/4 standard build - Setting up engine timing
From: healey.nut at gmail.com (Alan Seigrist)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 14:46:05 +0800
Stephen -

There isn't a TDC mark per se on the pulley unless someone put one
there.  Sometimes there's a dimple on the back of the pulley.

You find TDC by hollowing out a spark plug, putting it on #1, then
putting a long coat hanger type wire in the hole through the plug and
rotating the crank by hand until the wire reaches the peak position.
Once there you can then mark the pulley and timing cover with some
white-out so you can use a strobe later.

I think Kees also suggested using soap bubble water over the little
plug hole to sense TDC.

RE 34 vs 12 I suspect your car probably is just way off time....

Alan