[Healeys] gullwing motors '53 100 for sale

Subject: [Healeys] gullwing motors '53 100 for sale
From: sbyers at ec.rr.com (BJ8 Healeys)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 09:58:23 -0400
I based my previous response to Gary's questions on a quick check of the BJ8
registry data with the numbers given by Jackson Krall.   A more in-depth
review of the data requires me to change my response.

The BJ8 at Gullwing Motors that Jackson identified as HBJ8L 56236 is said to
have a body plate with the number 3222 BJ8 81135.   The chassis number 56236
is obviously incorrect for a BJ8, and based on the body number I said that
the correct chassis number was probably 36236.  However, I now find I have
36236 in the registry with a body number recorded of 3222  BJ8  81072.
Since 36235 has body 3222 BJ8 81071, I conclude that the data I have on
36236 is correct.  I also show that 36236 is a yellow car (originally BRG).
I have a continuous history of it back through nine owners to 20 June 1973.

However, that leads to the question:  what is the correct identity of the
car at Gullwing Motors?  The body number 3222 BJ8 81135 suggests that it
should be somewhere around 36257, but it can't be 36236.  Maybe 36286, which
was offered for sale on eBay out of Oregon in October 2010 (36282 has body
81131).
The "BMC-66" tag would indicate this car originally was dispatched from the
factory to California.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry