[Healeys] surface rust removal

To: Tadeusz Malkiewicz <tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl>
Subject: [Healeys] surface rust removal
From: Bert Van Brande <bertvanbrande@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 18:15:47 -0700 (PDT)
For removal/conversion of surface rust I also used the Home Depot phosphoric
acids. First Jasco "prep and prime". HD discontinued Jasco and now sells the
mentioned "Concrete Etcher & Rust Remover".  There are a lot of resources
online on how to get the best results with phosphoric acids.

An eyeopener for me was PPG DX579 and DX520, again both based on phosphoric
acid but 2 completely different formulations.  With DX579 I was able to
completely remove light "flash" rust from a previously media blasted panel.  I
did a test first letting it sit for a couple minutes and then wipe it with a
clean towel, the towel was red-brown and the panel clean.  The instructions
call for applying till the rinsing water sheets of the surface.   This was then
followed by applying DX520 which leaves behind behind a zinc phosphate coating.
 Although a bit more expensive these PPG products might be available in
Europe/Poland.

For heavier rust a 4.5-5" disc sander works great, 7" might be too big (and
heavy).  Various abrasive wire wheels on a drill to get in the corners.  It's a
dirty job though and best followed by a chemical treatment.  As long as you
don't keep the sander on one spot too long there are no issues with heat. I
know people swearing by this method vs acid dip/media blasting.  Doing my
gearbox cover soon this way!

Bert
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html