[Healeys] Gear box woes

Subject: [Healeys] Gear box woes
From: sbyers at ec.rr.com (BJ8 Healeys)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 18:00:18 -0400
I may have missed it, but I can't find any gearbox/overdrive oil quantity
identified in the Moss catalog.  The BJ8 driver's handbook specifies
(General Data, p. 5) 6.9 U.S. pints to fill the gearbox and 1.75 U.S. pints
to fill the overdrive.  That is a total of 8.65 U.S. pints, or 4.325 U.S.
quarts.  The BMC workshop manual (General Data, p. 15) specifies 7.5 U.S.
pints (3.75 U.S. quarts) for a gearbox with overdrive fitted.

All I know is that when I drain my gearbox and overdrive and let them drip
overnight, it takes exactly 3 quarts of 30W non-detergent to fill the level
to the HIGH mark on the stick.  I determined that years ago by filling and
checking a bit at a time until the level reached the HIGH mark.   After
filling, it is always at the HIGH mark or below when I check it hot.  How
much you're able to get in during a refill will, of course, depend on how
much you were able to get out.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry