Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Cooling System

To: "Schneider Mark" <mandmschneider@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Cooling System
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 13:16:53 -0700
Mark:

You're close.  As I understand it, the bypass function on the engine is
designed to block (mostly) the bypass hole to the head with the sleeve on
the thermostat in order to speed up the warm-up.  This is what I learned
when experimenting with sleeving regular thermostats years ago.  I
understand that reproductions of the original Smiths (sleeved) thermostat
are now available, but I have not checked.

In other words, it's no big deal to run a current (cheap) thermostat - we've
all been doing it for a long time.

If some other list guru wants to correct this if I've got it wrong, or
expand on this, please help out.

Hope the fan blade did minimal damage - I've heard some horror stories!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb