Re: [Healeys] Start-up, oil filters, and rebuilt engines

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Start-up, oil filters, and rebuilt engines
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 16:30:53 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/11 11:46:09 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> If properly rebuild, the engine would be protected by prelube, heavy
> oil, molybdenum/graphite grease or similar in the bearings, cams,
> followers, cylinder walls, valves etc.  I have always used graphite
> grease when rebuilding my engines. Even the oil pump will be filled with
> grease to prime it.
> Kees Oudesluijs
> NL

All of the above, hopefully, is true. However, I would still take steps to
make sure that the break-in oil is fully circulated through the filter and
the entire engine before actually firing up the engine, by running the
starter (at least with the coil wire off, and preferably with spark plugs out)
until I had a good oil pressure reading on the gauge. Don't forget, it is the
interaction between the molybdenum grease on the cam and the ZDDP in the
break-in oil that does the magic micro-machining of the cam surfaces during
the
first 10-15 minutes that the new engine is running.
Then, of course, after that first run-in session, you'd change out the oil
and oil filter for a second dose of break-in oil and clean oil filter for
the remainder of the break-in period.

best
Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html