[Healeys] Changing oil and filter

Subject: [Healeys] Changing oil and filter
From: glemon at neb.rr.com (Greg Lemon)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 01:34:23 -0500
I have no problem with the theory of pre-filling the filter, but I have
always figured that I would spill a good bit of it when trying to install (I
know I always do when taking it off).  Don't know about the 6 cylinder cars,
but in the 100 and other British cars I have owned you sort of have to
thread the cannister in and out of the car, with one hand, sometimes two,
trading one for the other when the first hand and cannister can go no
farther.

The oil filter actually fills up pretty quickly even when empty, in fact I
had an MGB that took nearly as long every time I started it (oil cooler
hoses must have drained best guess) and drove it for years and the engine
maintained good oil pressure, the rust killed it, I think the motor was
ready to go on forever, or at least into Volvo like numbers.

I agree in the perfect world would be great to not have to start with the
filter dry, no ill effect that I have experienced, but admittedly hard to
guage (nothing blew up, no bearing spun, but who knows, maybe took a little
life off the motor).

To those that can keep the filter upright through the process, including
holding the additional weight when trying to get the bolt started against
the force of the spring as well, all I can say is I am suitably impressed.
Maybe it is easier if one has a lift and isn't either leaning over the
fender, or reaching up on your back.....

Greg Lemon