[Healeys] Healeys] Start-up, oil filters, and rebuilt engines

Subject: [Healeys] Healeys] Start-up, oil filters, and rebuilt engines
From: mayorrichard at hotmail.com (richard mayor)
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 01:53:07 +0000
Marty,
What is "nitrate" and how do you "nitrate" a camshaft. It is usually the case,
but not always, that the lifters go away before the camshaft. I believe that
lifters are usually chilled iron - camshafts are steel. The extreme pressure
between the lifter and the camshaft is the situation that creates the
destruction of lifters and lobes. ZDDP is the sacrificial substance that
protects these surfaces. I don't understand how you can "nitrate" a camshaft
and solve this extreme pressure situation without the presence of ZDDP.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon