[Healeys] Suspension Changes & Now Front End Vibration

Subject: [Healeys] Suspension Changes & Now Front End Vibration
From: steveg at abrazosdata.com (Steve B. Gerow)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 07:02:44 -0800
John,
Your experience is the reverse of mine. I had the scuttle shake - felt like an
out of balance wheel at 55-60 mph.

On examination, my upper trunnion bushes were completely gone - my upper
trunnions consisted of a 1/2 inch bolt in a 3/4 inch hole. I drove the car for
years like this!

I rebuilt my front suspension, replacing the lower A-arm bushings with the
purple poly bushings Cape sells, along with the needle thrust bearings and also
Cape's adjustable upper bronze bushing. My kingpins and lower trunnions were
perfect so didn't need disassembly.

On installing the upper trunnion bushings the scuttle shake disappeared. My
car's a rust-free California car.

I wonder if Erica had the problem all along and replacing the upper trunnions
somehow accentuated it. Will be curious if replacing them with the stock rubber
parts removes the shake.

--
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA