Re: [Healeys] Stripped bolts

To: Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Stripped bolts
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 08:50:59 -0700
On my BJ8 they are--like the shock bolts, bumper bracket bolts and others--3/8"
fine (24TPI) SAE.  IIRC, a 9/16" wrench
or socket will fit them.

I'd go with the inserts (same size--3/8" fine).   If you tap oversize you'll
probably have to drill (oversize) the holes
in the slave cylinder.  Not only will this somewhat weaken the parts but you'll
eventually strip them out again anyway.
3/8" inserts are common, and the taps come with the kit, but the drill bit
you'll need is an oddball (like a 25/64" or
something, don't recall for sure).

A 3/8" 24TPI insert kit will serve you well over time.  Put red Locktite on the
outside of the inserts.  I always use a
hardened flatwasher and blue Locktite to fasten aluminum/alloy
parts--lockwashers dig into the Al and lose tension over
time (they also gouge the metal pretty bad).

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html