Re: [Healeys] Coolant Recovery - generic tank

To: healeys@autox.team.net <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Coolant Recovery - generic tank
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:42:23 -0800
>From an auto parts store, I bought a cheap plastic coolant tank with an input
>at the bottom and a vent at the top.

It came with a thin rubber gasket as shown in this picture:
http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/image/126925316

I trimmed it slightly to fit inside the stock 7lb cap and connected the
overflow hose to the bottom of the coolant tank above.

When the engine cools down, it sucks the coolant back out of the tank into the
radiator header tank.

This setup's been working for years.

Steve Byers wrote:

Has anyone installed a coolant recovery system using generic hardware from
the local auto parts store?
I installed a recovery system in my BJ8 using the brass recovery tank from a
junkyard MG Midget.  Someone saw my article about my system and wants to
install a similar system in a '65 Midget, but doesn't want to spring for a
new MG tank ($$).  I seem to recall a discussion on the list some time ago
about using a generic tank from Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.  I have no
experience with the plastic tanks, so thought I would ask for input from the
list.

--
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA