Re: [Healeys] Core Plugs

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Core Plugs
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:48:49 EDT
In a message dated 6/30/11 11:29:03 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> Hi
> Has happened to me too, on my newly restored Sprite engine. I thought I
> had hit the plug enough, but apparently not. Installed a new plug and
> gave it a couple of good smacks, and the others too, and they have held
> on ever since (7 years ago). Doomed plugs, you have to hit them in the
> centre so they expand in to hole. If you hit them correctly they will be
> impossible to remove without destroying I think.
>
> Per

I'd stick with original design, but silicone or even JBWeld is not a bad
idea -- I've lost them on my MGA before. According to my mechanic, the trick
is to start at the center and then pound in increasing circles out towards
the edge of the plug -- I use a six-inch socket extension. Lots and lots of
little taps. When you're done, the plug should be domed inward, not just flat.
G.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html