[Healeys] Lets Move On

Subject: [Healeys] Lets Move On
From: gmandas at yahoo.com (Greg Mandas)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 05:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
Curt,

If I may, Mark and Ira,

It may be not so much the topic but the tone
that Mark and Ira are reacting to. At least that's what it is for me.

I have
found on this list, in public and private communications, the nicest, most
knowledgable, extremely helpful and passionate people. It really is a joy and
an oasis from all the mean spirited emails (not to be discussed here) I
receive daily, many from my boss, coworkers and, sadly, friends.

I don't
think there's a topic that's been discussed lately that shouldn't have been,
but some of the submissions have been edgy, bordering on mean spirited.

And
I don't think that's the intent of the sender.

As a computer professional
communicating through email or email-like systems since the late 80's, (I
know, "Youngster!!!") I found all too true the fact, the tone or spirit the
email is written in is often not what comes through. There are specific
instances in my career when I've had to walk down the hall to a coworker's
office and explain I was trying to be funny.

I just think people need to
re-read their posts before hitting Send with an eye towards, "If the person on
the other end is having a bad day or doesn't get that I'm being funny or
sarcastic or drool or passionate, could it be taken the wrong way?"

It's why
I start a lot of my posts with "Dude!"  How can anyone take a post seriously
when it starts with, "Dude". Yeah, and sometimes I'm nothing more than full of
sh*t.

Greg