Re: [Healeys] Starting procedure

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starting procedure
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 16:40:31 EDT
In a message dated 7/3/11 1:32:10 PM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> I would have thought the opposite.....with the clutch depressed, the
> input
> shaft is disengaged and the only thing turning is the engine.   Whereas,
> with the clutch not depressed and the car in neutral, the starter has to
> turn the engine and the input shaft.

Though that seems intuitively right, it is in fact exactly wrong. All you
need to do to prove that is to try it both ways in succession. The engine
spins on the starter MUCH more easily in with the transmission neutral and the
clutch disengaged, than in gear with the clutch engaged. Those who can
visualized thr process better than me can explain how the springs on the
clutch
and the extra mass being spun make it more difficult for the starter to spin
the engine with the transmission in neutral.

Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html