[Healeys] Power band of two different motors, or is it the rear end?

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Healeys] Power band of two different motors, or is it the rear end?
From: "Jerry Costanzo" <grumpyinloomis@ssctv.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 21:42:25 -0700
I have two Healeys,  one is a BN4 with a 3000 engine, HD8 carbs and a 4.1
differential.  The other is a BJ8 with a 3000 engine , HD8 carbs and a 3.9
differential.  I built both engines.  The BN4 is 30 over and the BJ8 is stock.
The BN4 head has been slightly ported, not on the BJ8.  The BJ8 has headers.
Driving he BN4 today gives me the impression that it has more horsepower.  I
was on the freeway and if you step on it, it will accelerate away.  I still
donbt feel that on the BJ8.  It accelerates, but nothing like the earlier
car.
Is it the rear end difference or did my slight porting (clean up of the ports
for the most part) make that much difference?  The only other thing I donbt
know is the cam profile on the BN4.  The car was raced before I got it and the
machine shop said it was still in good shape so I put it in the engine.

Opinions?

Jerry
BN4
BJ8