[Healeys] leaking steering box on BJ8

Subject: [Healeys] leaking steering box on BJ8
From: bengaard at 850r.dk (Niels Bengaard)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 19:01:23 +0200
I have a leaking steering box on my BJ8. It leaks from the oil seal.
I took out the old oil seal today and replaced it with a new. I must admit it
didnt go in straight, typical beginners fault, but I got it to sit perfect in
the end, and the metal doesnt look damaged at all.
I have loosened the steering column and is doing the job with the steering box
still in the car, the shaft is also still installed in the steering box.
My problem is the new seal also is leaking, it leaks between the rubber lip
and the axle in a small area.

Was it because I didnt put it in straight from the beginning or is there
another problem?
The oil seal, bought from AH Spares was like the one I pulled out, it4s a
metal housing with a rubber lip and no spring. Is there a better type
available?

Niels, Denmark