[Healeys] spark eroding experience

Subject: [Healeys] spark eroding experience
From: bertvanbrande at yahoo.com (Bert Van Brande)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 08:33:47 -0700 (PDT)
An now uncle Vic's technology saved another Healey block, how cool is that!
These machines are also operating under computer numerical control and used to
cut complex shapes.  And with a suitably shaped electrode it is possible to
"drill" square holes or any shape really.

Bert

--- On Sun, 7/10/11, Rich
Chrysler <richchrysler at quickclic.net> wrote:

> From: Rich Chrysler
<richchrysler at quickclic.net>
> Subject: RE: [Healeys] spark eroding experience
> To: "'Bert Van Brande'" <bertvanbrande at yahoo.com>, "'List Healey'"
<healeys at autox.team.net>
> Date: Sunday, July 10, 2011, 4:21 AM
> I am very
proud to be able to relate
> some family history to exactly this
> technology.
> During WW2, my great uncle Victor Harding (my grandmother's
> kid brother)
had
> a machine shop in Royal Oak Michigan and was working
> closely with
Packard
> Engines who were having a high incidence of broken taps in
> the
Rolls Royce
> Merlin engine blocks they were producing under license from

RR. These were
> the Packard Merlin 225 engines being used in so many of the

famous planes of
> WW2.
> Anyway, Uncle Vic developed and perfected this
technology
> so they could
> remove hardened broken taps from these aircraft
engine
> blocks. They were so
> successful at this new technology, they were
able to save
> these blocks from
> being scrapped, and he was able to patent
the design. He
> travelled for a
> number of years after the war presenting
lectures on the
> design and retired
> to Sarasota Florida, having done
"alright".

healeys-bounces at autox.team.net
Behalf Of Bert Van Brande
> Sent: 2011-07-08 8:56
> To: List Healey
> Subject:
[Healeys] spark eroding experience

> Not related to the plugs.

rented a small trailer and brought the 100 4 cyl
> engine to a shop in the
"valley" here in SoCal to remove a
> broken generator
> stud from the block.
These holes are drilled right
> into the water jacket so
> these studs
frequently rust solidly in
> place.   The stud was already broken
> when I got
the car/engine.  In an attempt to remove it
> I broke an EZ-out.
> So
> now
there was a hardened steel bit in there as well.
> Ouch.
>
> I had another

broken bolt in the exhaust manifold.  I didn't even
> try, learned my lesson.
> Both items were fixed in 45 minutes using spark eroding or
> edm.  A
suitable
> electrode is used and an electric discharge or spark

disintegrates the

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRxljmABXL4&feature=related

> This
technology
> usually can remove studs, bolts, broken taps without
> damaging
the threads.
> The thread was cleaned with a 5/16 BSF tap but there are a

couple vertical
> nicks on the threads in my case.  The nicks maybe not
> too
bad to require the
> use of an insert or helicoil.  I'll make sure to use

thread sealant.   I
> have
> Hylomar thread sealant (not the advanced
formulation which
> I have as well)
> but I feel more for a Loctite or
Permatex style