[Healeys] BN4 Runs again........

Subject: [Healeys] BN4 Runs again........
From: bluehealey at gmail.com (Alan Bromfield)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:11:19 +0100
References: <CAO4jdWKrCHGnBXPHs2XPieOYC8QLgiEVvs_ZWe1+wjrc9s3ijw@mail.gmail.com> <CAO4jdWJ9vrb+WeEGi-u0jZ=xPZm5Ly-3TvovHT7xh6PV=_tHmg@mail.gmail.com> <CAO4jdWKcx+CuELw5sfu5tgrXBZbaBCqqSTviZqn-nCRaOF+WhA@mail.gmail.com> <CACPMnYosrg9NTDKzCMKG_uvd0DnKxcfJb7sYwqsneL-Hupgbaw@mail.gmail.com> <CAO4jdW+ThNMe3QCTc7nzgh5NkedgjugAD+U5v7N6ci+37sm+dA@mail.gmail.com> <CACPMnYqH_5XtswmNvgdSrDaX_qxjxP_8nz_jZKuw_T4+i97CBw@mail.gmail.com>
Team.
More questions from interested parties which I am broadcasting to the list.

There has been interest regarding how the boot lid gas strut works. Perhaps
many of you have the dented head syndrome.  %^)

The boot lid is supported by a single gas strut which not only provides the
prop to hold the lid open but also acts as an upper limit making the steel
cable redundant.  I approve of that.  The length of the chosen strut allows
the lid to be almost vertical when open and therefore completely out of the
way.

I fabricated a simple bracket that bolts on the boot lid hinge studs for the
upper end.  For the lower end a replacement was fabricated for the loop
bracket that the prop rod locates into.  The shroud lip isn't really strong
enough to withstand the spring pressure from the strut so the back of the
bracket was braced back to the inner wheel arch where it connects to a
shroud/wing bolt.

The strut for the boot lid came from
http://www.strutsdirect.co.uk
and the strut I used can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/64vplku
The dimensions of that strut work perfectly and the spring pressure can be
bled off until you are comfortable with action.

Photo's would be good so I am going to repeat this item on the forum wher I
can insert the pics inline with the text.  See the TinyURL in my signature
block for the link.

I hope this helps to explain the what and the how.
--