[Healeys] Hundred Body Number Sequence

Subject: [Healeys] Hundred Body Number Sequence
From: richchrysler at quickclic.net (Rich Chrysler)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:15:23 -0400
Gentlemen,

The first 19 pre production cars were body numbers 1 through 19. Then with
the production cars Jensen assembled and painted the body shells and sent
the first 5 on a transporter over to the new Longbridge assembly line. Last
one on (Body 24) was first off the transporter and therefore first one onto
the assembly line. That became Longbridge Chassis number 138031, the "first"
car down the Longbridge line, though it was about 3 t 4 weeks before it was
actually done, due to constant adjusting and shuffling of the assembly
process to make more sense and smoother flow of adding components, etc.

As things progressed and the gradual speeding up of the new line, with
logistics being constantly adjusted and improved, they eventually ended up
with a number of transporters taking 5 body shells at a time over to
Longbridge holding area. It is easy to imagine how the exacting body
sequence numbers that left Jensen got mixed up coming off the transporters
in the Longbridge marshalling area. That is one of the many reasons why the
Body numbers fell out of sequence by the time a finished car came off the
Longbridge line.

For instance in the Hundred Registry, we list Body 133 and Body 140 coming
off the Longbridge finishing the same day (18 August 1953). Meanwhile Body
156 came off the next day (19 August, 1953).

Rich Chrysler
Hundred Registrar