[Healeys] How Many Left?

Subject: [Healeys] How Many Left?
From: ah at jharper.demon.co.uk (John Harper)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:06:52 +0100
Mark

I don't believe that you can take these figures seriously when it comes
to cars of our age.

If one considers 100s the statistics show 94 Austin Healey's registered
as Vehicles licensed or SORNed in the UK over the years 1953 to 1956
inclusive. This period more or less matches the period during which new
100s would have been registered for the first time.

However from the 100 Register I have extracted 739 UK registrations
allocated over more or less the same period. Obviously some of these
cars were scrapped and some have yet to come back on the road. These
incidentally should have been SORNed (Statutory Off Road Notification)
as it might be more difficult to recover the original registration
(vehicle marque) when eventually applying for a Road Fund Licence.

There might be a number of 'age related' numbers in amongst these so it
is likely that these would not be recorded under the original
registration date.

Having said all this I would estimate that there are about 600 UK valid
and active UK registrations. Say six times the number shown in the
statistics.

They have Austin-Healey Sprites listed separately so this is unlikely to
distort the figures.

I believe the most significant point is that many old logbooks I have
seen just say Austin not Austin Healey. However there is no realist way
of finding out more from the published statistics. They don't even list
Austin cars of from the same era such as A40 Somerset, A70 Hereford and
A90 Atlantic that I happen to know are still legally on the road in
small numbers.

Regards