[Healeys] Hollywood Sport Cars

Subject: [Healeys] Hollywood Sport Cars
From: Editorgary at aol.com (Editorgary at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 07:56:03 EDT
In a message dated 7/29/11 10:12:30 PM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Chic Vandagriff passed away on Thursday, July 28th .  He was very
> instrumental
> in bringing Vintage Racing to California and owned Hollywood Sportscars in
> the
> day.  He gave many drivers a chance at racing.

Chic Vandagriff was quite a man, one of the most influential car builders
in the day. I had the privilege of meeting him a few years ago with his son
Chris, who is still influential in his position as head of Historic Motor
Sports Association, which ran the Monterey Historics and now runs the
Motorsports Reunion sucessor.

Just to correct one important detail, since it's an anomaly in a way, but
marks the difference between people who know the history, and those that
repeat other peoples' versions. The firm that Chic founded and ran, building a
variety of project cars for Jerry Titus and others in the day, as well as
prepping James Dean's Porsche 550 for the race in Salinas in 1955, was

Hollywood Sport Cars.

There's no S on Sport.

Just so you'll know.

Gary Anderson