Re: [Healeys] Lucas Charging System?I recently had my C45-P5

To: Ron Mitchell <healeyron@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lucas Charging System?I recently had my C45-P5
From: Austin Healey <pajtamuvek@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 20:09:46 +0200
Hi Ron,

I just did my setup yesterday.
Here are my experiences. Systems fitted with dynamos are rarely charging
13.6 at idle (esp. if idling speed of the engine is as low as on a Healey) .
They usualy only "come in" to turn of the ign. light, but not much charge at
all. Normaly I get the right 14.2-14.4 charge at 1000-1200rpm. Anything
above 15V should be considered faulty. Overcharging will boil the battery
and may even kill some units (like bulbs, electric rev counters etc).
Voltage drop should be checked with the engine reved a bit (let say 2K). The
drop should not be significant there.

Gergo