[Healeys] Steering Box Problem - Update

To: Healey Mail List <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Steering Box Problem - Update
From: Alan Bromfield <bluehealey@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 15:10:10 +0100
Team
Since my latest mail to the list I have found what I believe to be the root
cause of the tight spot being off centre in my steering column.

I have found that the drop shaft splines at the bottom of the shaft have a
slight twist in them which causes the Pitman arm to be set a few degrees
further to the right than it should be.  This is probably from crash damage
in the past in which some serious impact torque was put into the drop shaft.
That would certainly result in the worm being off centre when the wheels are
straight ahead.

I will put pictures on the Forum to illustrate.

I really should have found the distortion prior to installation, however the
box was a rebuilt exchange unit I bought some years ago to replace the LHD
version that came with my project car. I assumed it would be good and didn't
strip it to check.

My DWR column/worm assembly arrived today which has to be a good upgrade
anyway. I will also be using a replacement drop arm so that I get equal
left/right split of the available travel. I haven't driven the car far
enough to notice, but if the tight spot in the centre of the worm is way off
to the right that probably restricts the amount of left lock remaining.

I will be re-installing the steering box this weekend.
                (__tinyurl.com/healeyforum _)
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html