[Healeys] Bad running due to ethanol in gas?

Subject: [Healeys] Bad running due to ethanol in gas?
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 06:54:21 -0700
Sorry, guess I was a little snarky and, believe me, I'm not a fan of ethanol in
gasoline (I think it's one of the
biggest shams ever perpetrated on the American public).  I just don't like to
see people making associations without
evidence (there's enough weird crap going on for real I don't need to make
stuff up).

In my immediate family we have: a 1919 Seagrave Pumper fire engine, a 1946
Chevy 2-ton truck, a 1955 T-Bird, a 1965
Mustang, a couple old Ford tractors and, of course, our 2 Healeys (BJ8 and
100M).  All are carbureted (various types)
and all run fine on California gas which, it can be assumed, contain up to 10%
ethanol (all run on 87-octane except my
BJ8, which usually gets premium).   I just put 4,000+ miles on the BJ8 buying
gas in several states and two Canadian
provinces without a single problem.  I bought a tank of premium in Burns, OR
which did not contain any ethanol; I
thought wow, we'll really see a difference with 'pure' gas.  No discernible
difference in performance or even mileage (I
thought we might get an 'extra' mpg or so).   Problems with gasahol in fuel
tanks, old rubber lines, diaphragms, etc. I
can believe.

I'm the curious type, so if I thought the gas was the problem in my car I'd
drive the 150 miles--that would pretty much
empty the tank--and buy a tank of pure gas, then drive it home.  If my car ran
as it should on the way home then I'd say
there's a high probability of causation; if not, I'd have to look elsewhere for
the problem.

I'm also not a fan of conspiracy theories; I don't believe refiners or
distributors--I suspect the ethanol is blended at
the refinery--would risk adding illegal amounts of ethanol, then admit it in
order to get 'tax breaks.'  AFAIK, only
corn farmers and the distillers are getting tax breaks.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net