[Healeys] Overdrive slow to engage when hot

Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive slow to engage when hot
From: sbyers at ec.rr.com (BJ8 Healeys)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 09:55:06 -0400
Thomas, I had a similar problem with the overdrive in my BJ8.  It would work
normally when the oil was cold, but after it was hot when the gearbox would
shift out of overdrive it would not go back in until the oil was cold again.
I found the internal bore of the aluminum accumulator very gouged and
scarred up.  The accumulator has a steel piston in the bore and any debris
that gets into the oil can end up scouring the softer aluminum until the
accumulator can no longer hold pressure when the oil thins out with heat.
I replaced the accumulator, piston rings, and o-rings and my overdrive has
worked great since 1993.
I did not replace the oil pump.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666