Re: [Healeys] old oil for an old car?

To: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] old oil for an old car?
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 10:19:57 +0800
Roland -

A couple of thoughts on this.

The first thing is to open one of the oil cans and see if there is
discolored sludge on the bottom of the can.  If so, this means the
additives have separated out from the oil (possibly including the ZDDP).
 This usually happens if the oil was out in the shed and subject to big
swings in temperature over years.  I would suggest you could use it in an
emergency to add a quart to the motor, but I'm not so sure I'd use it
exclusively on your next oil change.

If the oil has remained sealed in its container, the oil is still clear and
there is no sludge at the bottom, then it will probably be ok....

However, some of the cans may have contamination in them, and some types of
bacteria can breakdown the oil over extended periods of time, but if the
cans are sealed this will be a low risk.

It's up to you, is it worth the risk to you to use?

Alan