[Healeys] Pennzoil's reply about old oil

To: 'Austin Healey list' <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Pennzoil's reply about old oil
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:33:33 -0800
I sent this a couple of days ago but apparently there was a problem
with the list's server right then, so here it is again:

It took a little cage rattling, but I got my answer (see below).   It
doesn't say whether the 'separated' additives would blend back in if
stirred.  The operation of the engine would certainly stir up
everything.  However, it isn't worth the risk.

 The best idea I have received is to sell the old oil on eBay for $10+
per qt, buy some super good ZDDP-laden break in oil and spend the rest
of the money on a dinner out.

Thanks to all.

-Roland
::From: <pqsandcarcaretechnical-us@shell.com>
::Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:57:12 -0600
::
::Hello,
::
::We appreciate you e-mailing our company.
::We do not recommend using any motor oil that is longer than 5 years
::old. Additives in motor oil  would start  separating over a period of
::time.  Please recycle it accordingly.
::
::Should you desire to speak with a technical representative to discuss
::this issue in more detail please call Pennzoil-Quaker State Technical
::Information at 1-800-237-8645.
::
::Sincerely
::Product Technical Service