[Healeys] Rear Hub Bearing

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Rear Hub Bearing
From: Pieter and Linda <pieters@pt.lu>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 21:24:02 +0100
I am looking to verify a diagnosis. I am running rear disc brakes and have
developed a rythmic clicking noise from the right rear that stops when the
brakes are applied lightly.  I thought I had a warped disc and the noise was
the disc slapping the brake pad on each rotation. I jacked up the rear and
found I could move both rear wheels in and out slightly but the right rear I
can "rock" . That is if I grab the front and rear of the tyre I can pull the
front out and rear in and vice versa. Rims are near new and the splines are in
good condition. The wheel spinners were of course tight.

 I suspect it is wear in the hub bearing as I have disassembled the right rear
and can find nothing else broken or worn. The bearing runs quietly but there
is some in out play.

 It there anything else I should be checking before I order new bearing etc?

 Thanks
Pieter
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html