Re: [Healeys] Lot No: 433

To: <comkanuk@cgocable.ca>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lot No: 433
From: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 02:15:56 +0000
You really have to give it to the Brits, they have a way with words. I read
the description of NOJ393 twice on Bonham's site and while there is no doubt
that this car is historically significant, yet it has never won a race either,
so comparing it to some of the cars they compare it with is stretching it just
a little. I believe that it will sell for quite a sum of money and I am as
fond of Austin-Healey as much as anyone but I wonder what is all the fuss
about. It is not really a "barn find", a lot of people knew of the existence
of this car, as a matter of fact it was discussed in an issue of the Chatter
magazine in the 1990's. It simply was not seen in public and for good reason,
it is not in running order.
It is an important car as one of the first "Special Test Car" and its rebuilt
following the LeMans 1955 crash was done hastily in order to sell it. If you
look closely at the scruteering photos prior to Le Mans in 1955, you can see
the "quick filler cap" and after the rebuilt, it's not there. Not much is
known or not written about its history after it was sold following the
rebuilt, likely because it became a Club Racer, and it then acquired this odd
paintwork.
If the owner actually turned down the money someone mentioned he was offered,
I tend to think he should have taken it, just my opinion. Given the state of
the economy in North America and Europe right now, not so sure it will sell
for 800,000 pounds. Then again, some guys are flush with cash so who really
knows.

Jean