[Healeys] 4 cyl engine questions - follow up

To: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 4 cyl engine questions - follow up
From: Bert Van Brande <bertvanbrande@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:12:36 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for all advice.  I installed the flex oil delivery pipe dry without
sealer/sealant.
When I test ran the car 7 almost 8 years ago I used SL rated 20W50.  I still
have 1.5 qt left so I checked the bottles.   Also when I got the car I drained
about 11-12 qt of oil, I assume the previous owner had either the foresight of
over-filling it for storage or maybe squirted oil in the cylinders every
winter or so.
I'll treat the engine as a freshly rebuild engine and will follow the proper
engine startup and run-in process.  I have a pint bottle of ZDDP additive
ready.  Kees' method of filling the engine above the journals seems a simple
method to bring oil to the crankshaft bearings and then manually cranking till
oil start flowing to the rest of the engine.  I can prime the pump via the oil
pressure port if needed.  In the archives are also plenty of references of
just running the engine on the starter motor with spark plugs removed.
As I said the engine ran perfect with no oil consumption/blue smoke.  My
friend who helped me owned/worked on 20+ British cars including a 100-6 and
called it perfect.   The big unknown is how the engine was run-in to embed
cam/tappets.   I'll keep an eye on clearances and performance and at least I
am for-warned now about the potential premature wear.  Since we don't know the
history of the engine I hope for the best.
I'll keep you posted.
Bert
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html